Wednesday, April 11, 2012

A Remarkable Representation of History

100 years ago, the Titanic was sailing carelessly across the Atlantic toward New York City, its crew and passengers oblivious to what was coming. It left Southampton, England on April 10, 1912 at noon, and it hit the iceberg on the night of April 14th at approximately 11:40 p.m. It took about two hours and forty minutes for it to sink.

Not a very pleasant thing to honor, all in all, but there is much I learned in researching and writing about it for my book "Passage on the Titanic," (which I hope you've all read by now) and I've realized there is much we can all learn from this significant historical event that can make us better people. If you didn't already see it, here's a link to an article I did that has just one particular insight. I hope you might pause to consider other aspects, as well.


Click HERE or the picture above to read my article in the Deseret News titled "What 9/11 taught me about the Titanic tragedy".

I also wanted to tell you about the DVD that was recently released, which was kind of a sister project to my book. My dear friend Gary Cook (the writer and director of "Joseph Smith, Prophet of the Restoration," and "Emma Smith, My Story,") is the brains behind this beautiful documentary. I would strongly encourage you to buy it and to pass the word. Many talents, much a work, and a great deal of production costs went in to making this remarkable representation of history and its ties into faith and its Mormon connections. Click HERE for more information on the DVD.

Allow me to put in a plug for this kind of thing. If we want to continue to be able to have quality LDS products, like this DVD, available to us, we need to support the businesses that produce and sell them. If you genuinely can't afford it, that's completely understandable. But if you can afford it, I would ask that you support all the great effort and talent behind such excellent products. Thanks!

As always, I appreciate all of your support in buying and reading my bedtime stories for big people. You're the greatest! Have a great week! And when you have tough moments, just think, "At least I'm not on the Titanic."

~Anita

2 comments:

Jenn said...

Hi! My name is Jennifer Ingram and I've been a big fan of Anita's books since high school. I finished Passage on the Titanic a couple weeks ago and just wanted to mention that Irene is my great-great-aunt. I also noticed the housekeeper's last name was Cluff, and since that's my maiden name, I wondered if that was a nod to that branch of the family.

Anyway, I spoke to my father and he was extremely interested in where Anita got her research from for Irene, because we don't have much information on her beyond knowing she's a part of our family tree. A distant relative says she has letters from Irene, but we've not been able to see them, unfortunately.

I have no idea if you're able to pass this on to Anita or not, but I figured it was worth a shot. My father is big into geneology and I'm slowly learning myself, and we thought this might be a great way to learn a little more about our family history. Thank you so much!

jenn.ingram85@yahoo.com

Kim Tracy said...

I fear Anita has been holding out on us....I checked Deseret book and the next book is OUT!!! Can't wait to read "The Wishing Garden"